In the beginning of 2017, EIT Digital launched ELEMENT, a new Innovation Activity to facilitate faster, earlier diagnosis and intervention for cognitive decline.
In June 2017, the Innovation Activity ELEMENT took a new step forward with the official launch of its start-up: ki elements.
CEO Jan Alexandersson (also Activity Lead) of ELEMENT explains: "We are very proud and happy to showcase our first prototype called Delta during the Innovation Alzheimer Day in collaboration with Association Innovation Alzheimer at the Institut Claude Pompidou in Nice. Our prototype is an iPad app for psychometric testing based on language as diagnosis support for professionals working in psychiatry, neuropsychology and speech pathology."
How the Delta app works:
- Delta records and saves speech data and synchronises it with your HIS (Hospital Information System). This allows you to easily re-listen to patients and empowers your professional decisions.
- Delta automatically transcribes answers from cognitive speech tests to keep your attention free for the most important thing: your work with the patient.
- Delta leverages AI and computational linguistics to extract and analyse powerful scientific metrics from patients' answers.
- Delta gives you comprehensive insight by visualising the extracted metrics. Combined with population cut-off values, this visualisation helps to enrich your professional impression
- Delta compiles your test analysis, visualisations and your interpretation/diagnosis into a digital report formatted to your clinic's guidelines.
Jan Alexandersson continues: "We are hoping this prototype demo will help us find our potential first customers, collect feedback about our value proposition. We are also working on CE certification of our product and looking to extending our portfolio towards the German market by the end of 2018. For 2017, our focus is on the French market."
The mission of ki elements is to provide health professionals with AI-empowered tools as key elements to excel in their profession.
ELEMENT has implemented a first alpha version of the product targeting dementia diagnosis support for clinicians based on speech analysis.
Dementia is a cognitive disorder, mainly caused by neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease but also strokes, which leads to a loss of autonomy and is associated with significant decrease in quality of life. In 2015 around the world, there were 9.9 million new cases of dementia: one every 3 seconds*. This number is expected to double every 20 years and reach 68% of the worldwide population in 2050 (mostly in low-medium income countries and due, in part, to fewer births and a growing elderly population).
Partners involved in the Innovation Activity are:
* Alzheimer's Disease International
About EIT Digital
EIT Digital seeks to generate significant innovations from top European research. As such, we focus our investments on a limited number of innovation areas known as Innovation Action Lines, that we have selected with respect to their European relevance and leadership potential. Each Innovation Action Line comprises a portfolio of activities including:
Our Innovation Activities deliver new products or services, create startups and spinoffs to commercialise outputs from projects and encourage the transfer of technologies for market entry.